Monday, September 29, 2014

Drum Roll for Wildcat D...#48!

It's official! I have completed the NH 48 four-thousand footers! It all happened eons ago, or maybe more like 3 weeks ago, but now a days time is flying by making 3 weeks feel like 3 months. I planned a little Sunday Funday hike, inviting friends and family to join me as I crushed my final peak. However, like my life, friends were already booked (note to self: must plan get togethers weeks in advanced, not days!) Fortunately, I have the bestest sister ever!!! She was so excited to support me that her and her man got to the lot an hour before I requested (not to mention we-Howard and I-were running half an hour behind as someone doesn't believe me when I tell them when we HAVE to leave by).

Anyway, the weather couldn't have been more cooperative. My lack of research about the steepness of the trail: unacceptable. It made me glad that my invites didn't make it as I wasn't too sure of the physical prowess of all invited guests. As soon as you cross the river that denied my first attempt, you start heading...UP. There's a few scrambles as you head...UP, but there's also views! Yay! Oh, wait, did I mention my camera was dead and phone was at like 5%? Talk about last hike fail! I was able to snap this photo from the first ledge we went up.
There were great views that showed Route 16 weaving about as well as Mount Washington. We waved to my cousin who was taking a birthday trip up the Cog (judgement free zone!) We continued up and and up.
No one said anything about rock climbing...; )
We were all stoked when we passed another vista and the trail became less rocky. It went down, and over, and up. There were also some sweet caves along the way.
Howard decided to scale up through the crevice. The rest of us turned around and took the stairs. Yes! Stairs! Check them out!
Eventually the trees ended and we found ourselves at the top of Wildcat Ski Area, complete with chair lift and lodge. Go left, or right, your choice, around the hut and up some more. This quite short section wasn't too steep and my excitement was mounting as we got closer to the platform that announced, "You've made it! You've completed your mission!" And before you knew it, BAM! There it was! I ran up, clearly more excited than my cohorts (this is very typical of our group...they're all very grounded, reserved folks which is further evidenced by the fact they refused, REFUSED to take a group picture! I let it go.)

Howard had purchased a special bottle of my favorite bubbly drink: CIDER! We, read I, learned how to pop a cork! (And I discovered that the whole time Howard had a fully charged phone I could've been snapping picture with left and right.)
A lot harder than I was anticipating!
We clinked together the shot glasses that I had carried up and started to soak in the sun and views.
Awww, yes, what it's all about.
Ha! Forced him to take a shot! What a brat!

The shot glasses were a bit difficult, so I took a more direct route to celebrating (and again, I was the most enthused by the adventure).

Soon after, we packed up our gear and headed down...the ski trails. We had more celebrations in store and noted that the trial was NOT runnable. We set off and made excellent time to the bottom, just to walk along the road (yawn!) However, I was able to snap a picture of my fellow hikers without them knowing.
Love them! Even if they can be lame about pictures.
It was such a gorgeous day.
 We took a quick run to Glen Ellis Falls, even though everyone was starving and ready to fall over.
To cure our rumbling tummies we headed to my FAVORITE place: Flatbread! I could've eaten a large by myself, but I demonstrated some restraint and only ate 75% of a large. SO DELICIOUS! My cousin and her boyfriend met up with us after their trip up the Washington Cog. It was started to feel like a celebration!

It still feels a little surreal, but no worries, my hiking days are still booked! Just this weekend, I hiked Camel's Hump in Vermont. I mean, I can see it from my school and my apartment. It has been beckoning me for months! I'll blog about that...well, eventually. I'm also planning to do more winter hikes this year. Not to mention there's those 52 peaks with a view. I'll also count any cycling up big hills as "hiking" such as I did yesterday on my new wheels.
2nd time on a road bike. Why not go up the Kanc?
I have no idea what our time or mileage was on Wildcat D. I was more focused on my company and the excitement of reaching my goal. Howard says he now has to do the 48 since he's half way there, so maybe I will end up doing them a second time as well.

Happy trails, ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment